February 13, 2015

The Best Way to See Tasmania


If you ever plan on visiting Tasmania - which you should! - I can't recommend bringing your or at least a car, enough. Completely and utterly the best thing. And unless you are hiring from the airport - which means you can't bring all the camping and fishing gear you want (plus, baggage weight restrictions...) - the only good way to start a road trip of this magical state of Australia is on the Spirit of Tasmania.

Drive on from Port Melbourne, drive off at Devonport and you're on your way. Changing scenery, winding roads, wildlife and feelings of gratitude and awe are abundant!

My small but biggest secret for making the most of your overnight trip on the Spirit - wake up before dawn, explore the decks, go outside, and watch the sun rise from well below the horizon. Wandering the ship in the early morning light and air is the most gorgeous sight and sensation. Plus, if you're up and ready to go, you won't see any likely bathroom rush when the wake-up announcement comes on (we stayed in the recliner seat section which faces the back of the ship).













There are enough things on board to occupy your evening, here are a couple of things I did:

01 | Take advantage of the tourist info shop, there's plenty of pamphlets to more than likely get you all the way around Tassie, plus they sell National Park passes here, get one, you'll need it.

02 | Watch a movie in the cinema - there are two movies each night and they're a good way to fill in a couple of hours.

03 | Look around the souvenir shop, because souvenir shops are fun!

04 | Sit down and enjoy your mini-cruise! After all, if you've never been on a ship before it's an exciting experience, have a couple of drinks, watch the city lights as you depart, and relax for the evening.


I cannot wait to go back to Tasmania for another road trip, one of the best things I've done in my life so far. Have you been to Tassie before or been on the Spirit of Tasmania? If you have a post I'd love to see! Or if you've got any questions, go ahead and I'll do my best, I've got a couple of tips for the trip.

2 comments :

  1. So when I was young, most of the people in the town I grew up in went on the Spirit of Tasmania for a school camp, including my brother, but I never did! So I've always really wanted to!
    It looks so good, and I feel like it's a more manageable trip especially if you live in Melbourne, like you don't need a whole chunk of time free to do it.
    It looks like so much fun, I'm going to have to make a bucket list and start ticking them off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! It's really easy, just a drive to Port Melbourne then line up in the car and get on the boat (unless you're not driving, but seriously, drive!), plus the anticipation of seeing Tasmania on the other side when you wake up in the morning. Tassie is the best.

      Delete